Friday, January 21, 2011

My Parisian Day Trip



Unfortunately, having missed group departure, I found myself thrilled at the thought of adventuring in Paris with my roommate. We began our day at the Parisian Flee markets. Walking up and down the bustling roads, the masses bartered for their steals. The street smelled of éclairs and other delectable French pastries, and I quickly made my way to the first bakery on the strip. You see, my grandmother and I share a passionate love for French pastries, and I had to experience it for the both of us. Much like my day already, the éclair was a sweet hazy dream. As I continued on, excitement overran me at the thought of successfully purchasing my long overdue Christmas presents in one swoop.

As I left the market I crossed the street, as the gaudy Cathedral beckoned me over to its park area. The park was filled with green lazy trees and sculptures, furnished quite similarly to many of the other parks in Paris. As I sat on the bench watching the children run around, I found myself pleased to find the sun had come up, a first in a grey rainy week. Despite Paris’ colossal beauty, I found the weather to be bleak and a guaranteed burden to anyone with seasonal depression.

As I sat on the park bench I noticed a women in a full Burka, with only her face exposed. In a time when France is declaring this to be against the law, this moment was moving to me.Witnessing a women in Paris who shared a mutual relationship with her French citizenship, and her religious roots and the outcome of her public battle I found deeply moving. What a privilege to experience a moment of such liberation and controversy.

As I hopped on the metro I thought of the angry letter I would write to the Chicago Transit Authority outlining changes that should be made in order to be as sufficient as the metro in Paris, and cringed at the idea of waiting 20 minutes in the damp underground blue line station when I return home.

On my way home down the cobblestone street, I finally tried the creperie across from Hotel Leveque. It was as if I had died and gone to cheese heaven. One of the many things I could get used to in Paris is the heavy consumption of cheese.

After my daily Parisian cheese fix Jen, Elizabeth and I rented bikes and took Paris by storm as the three of us attempted to learn the efficient and intricate bike routes of the city. Riding along the Seine River, I found myself nearly on the verge of tears that such a place even exists. As a child, you dream of the city of lights, and as an adult I can rightfully say that Paris lived up to my dreams and beyond.

We rode to the park in the middle of the city where from one end you can see the giant white Ferris wheel, and if you look to the other end of the park the famous pyramid sits in front of the Louvre. I quickly recognized this spot from the black and whites of the picnic tables and umbrellas that I drooled over as child. As we walked more into the park I was thrilled to see that adorable French children really do race wooden boats, and determined at that moment that I would only raise adorable French children.

As the sun set on what will always be one of the best days of my life, I ended it the only way possible: a nighttime boat ride down the Seine. Somebody pinch me, please.



1 comment: