Thursday, January 20, 2011

The Embassy


We showed up at the embassy "En advance". We were early. Maybe that explains the semi-rude treatment we received. Everyone at security and even our contact acted like we were some extreme burden. I guess I was expecting a smiling face and a warm American greeting. Not even americans working the gate, where are the soldiers? Maybe i've seen too many Jason Bourne/ action movies but I expected my passport to be my key to an American haven. For example, if I was on the run from secret french spy/police types it was my understanding that I could run to the embassy and rushed through the gates to escape persecution. Thats not the case. In reality, I would probably need an appointment to even approach the sidewalk.
Once we got inside, we were "shhhhhed" through the lobby as pictures of Obama, Biden, and Clinton looked on. We were then ushered down a hallway lined with portraits of former presidents, into a big regal conference room. We met our contact, a deputy spokesperson for the embassy. I could be sensitive, but everyone treated us like we were a naive tour group of 3rd-graders. As an adult, a member of the press, and just a fellow human being I expect a certain level of pleasantness and respect not received at the embassy. Despite our host saying "I don't think our relationship (French-American) has been this good since WWII"... I don't see it.

Writers Note: This entry was written in real time at the embassy. You may have noticed that the tone is a little bitter. As an update i'd like to add that our speaker did eventually warm up (a little.) So although it was not the reception I had hoped for, I do appreciate the time that the embassy took to answer our questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment