Thursday, January 20, 2011

French Culture

Written January 8th, 2011
Today we discovered the cultural and historical side of Paris. I was a little tired starting the day since we had experienced the night life of Paris the night before but it was definitely worth waking up early. We started at Versailles, the old palace for King Louis XV and the infamous Queen Marie Antoinette which Kristin Dunst did an excellent role of portraying the late princess. The palace was beautiful with the entire original interior, history was brought to life. I was really intrigued by the usage of secret passages. That’s an element of history that American architecture is lacking. The compelling part of secret passages is that each individual passage comes with its own story. For the story of Versailles passages is one of love. Kings and queens were never married for love but rather treaties between countries. Therefore in this scenario, mistresses were acceptable for they were not one of a physical affair, but in most instances, a true love affair enduring with a blind eye from the courts people. Secret passage ways were built to allow the king to see his love without the knowledge of the disapproving courts. Unfortunately, I contradict myself finding this purpose sweet being that this was only permitted in the matters of the king, not the queen.
After Versailles and some lunch we headed to the Eiffel tower. It really is as magnificent in person as through other visuals. In the summer I went to the top of the Chicago sears tower and was breath taken by the beauty of Chicago and the city’s layout. Although my heart resides in Chicago, Paris made Chicago look like an amateur (which it is). There was no point that the city ended. A mix of modern and historical architecture decorated the landscape all the way until the horizon. Taken into account the Eiffel tower is about 81 stories where as the Sears tower is around 110 stories, I was still enamored.
Following the Eiffel tower we went to the Louvre. Before coming to Paris I saw Versailles in the media as well as the Eiffel tower but going to the Louvre was an entirely different element. The fact that it is Paris’ oldest castles structure is impressive but even more I think it has to do with what is inside of the Louvre. Art is a subject that a person is introduced to even before education and that is where many people passion for history roots from. Going to the Louvre and seeing the Mona Lisa, The Wedding Feast at Cana and The Coronation of Napoleon, I feel like I have seen it all.
I am a person in love with the act of learning and taking advantage of the power of learning fully utilizing my education and the tools that I have accessible to me. I must say though as a first time European traveler, I feel so privileged. This is the best type of learning, and definitely won’t be forgotten after the quiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment