Friday, January 14, 2011

Palace of Versailles



Making Movies
A professor once asked me why I like movies. Taken aback by the question, I responded blankly, “movies are my favorite form of entertainment.” I couldn’t comprehend how someone wouldn’t feel the same.


However, if I had the chance to elaborate, I would have explained that what I appreciate about film is the combination of striking visuals and music, which is why Sofia Coppola’s “Marie Antoinette” is one of my favorite movies.


Anticipation

Her film is also one of the reasons Versailles was the destination I was most excited for. Not only did Coppola have unprecedented access to Versailles, she paired her highly stylized, sympathetic take on Marie Antoinette with a new wave soundtrack.

Listening to The Strokes’ “What Ever Happened?” and New Order’s “Ceremony” as the tour bus drove to Versailles, my anticipation continued to build. I couldn’t wait to walk on the same ground that both Marie Antoinette and Sofia Coppola graced with their direction - one of a country, the other of a movie.


Marie-Antoinette Sweet Lolita

As we passed through the palace rooms, I imagined what it would be like to live in such a grand structure and have the grand responsibilities that Marie Antoinette had at the young age of 14.


Walking outside, I looked ahead to the gardens, which were stunning even though the flowers are not in bloom. The gardens were both visually pleasing and eerie for that reason. It made me think of the hauntingly beautiful graphic novel, Marie-Antoinette Sweet Lolita I bought from the gift shop.
Meanwhile, the passersby reminded me that I would need to learn French in order to fully enjoy the souvenir.

No comments:

Post a Comment