Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Understanding Paris

For me, learning to navigate Paris means more than understanding the metro system; it means knowing when to smile at a stranger (after they smile at you), where it's cheaper to buy an espresso (standing at the bar, not sitting down at a table), and knowing not to make eye contact with street vendors ( five Euros for a yarn bracelet!?!).

Having spent a few days here, I realize, beyond my luggage, I brought a lot of baggage to Paris. Like many Americans, I grew up with the unfortunate experience of learning about France from television. It turns out Pepé Le Pew and Inspector Clouseau were terrible examples of French culture.

I am happy to have had my preconceptions of France melted by the warmth of the Parisians I've met. The myth of French rudeness is exactly that, a myth.

From shopkeepers to strangers in the laundromat , the Parisians I talked to were more than willing to put up with my limited French. I may be in the running for a world record on how many times a person can say "Parlez-vous Anglais?" in one day.

The hospitality I've been shown by the French speaks to some universally human ideals. Average people, regardless of nationality, want to lead happy lives and this includes helping strangers. Why would France be any different? Perhaps America's history with France as long-time international allies has helped foster the amicable relationship we still share. Whatever the reason, my time in Paris has reinforced the idea that I should not stereotype a culture.

As the French existential philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre said "Man is fully responsible for his nature and his choices."

It would do an international traveler well to remember those words. We can choose to be open-minded and accepting of other cultures and especially of other people, or we can remain stubborn. It's our choice, but I'll opt for the former.

No comments:

Post a Comment