Monday, January 10, 2011

"Some Will Not Take 'No!' For an Answer"


In less than my first week into my trip to Europe I have ran across various unique things, and very interesting people. I fell in love with the architecture of the streets of Paris, but the people, not so much. The culture here definitely differs from the culture back in America, though there are many people who immigrated into France as in America, all the different cultures begin to misunderstand one another causing confusion between customs and blunt rudeness.
We went as a class to the Eiffel Tower, which was a dream come true. The tower was quite a sight to see; in fact we could see all of Paris from the first floor. I always thought the Paris would be a beautiful place, but the view that I saw was far beyond my imagination, it was simply breath-taking. So, as we are departing from the tower, we were swarmed with African Immigrants, who were trying to sell us souvenirs. We could barely walk down the stairs to leave, it was like they were paparazzi and we were celebrities. They were trying to sell us miniature Eiffel Towers and key chains, and would talk to each student in the language which they thought that student would understand, so that they would seal the deal. Well, they most definitely did not do that, instead it came across as quite offensive. Then, when we declined their merchandise, they had the nerve to get upset. Not only did they get an attitude, but they yelled obscenities to us.
The first couple of times I encountered these immigrants trying to make profits from souvenirs, I thought to myself, “ok, here’s some guys who need to make some money,” but after the incident at the Eiffel Tower, I was completely done dealing with them. A few days later, one of my teachers informed me that a European exchange student we knew, told her that it was part of there custom to try to sell, or more so shove, their goods to us, therefore we’d have to buy them. They believe that if they offer someone a gift that the receiver of the gift is to accept it, and then in turn give them the gift of money. So as they were insulting us, they felt that we were insulting them also.
I learned that while there are many beautiful things about visiting another country, there will always be cultural differences that may not have even crossed your mind. So next time someone just won’t stop pushing something on you while in a foreign place, just smile and say “Yes!” and continue to walk away, because ‘‘Some Will Not Take 'No!' For an Answer.’’

No comments:

Post a Comment