Monday, January 17, 2011

The Secret ANNEx



“To build up the future you have to know the past.” Otto Frank

Today was moving. Why? Because, I had been counting down the days, hours, seconds to go to Anne Franks house. Before I left for Europe, I told EVERYONE including the mailman that I was going to be in the same exact place Anne wrote her diary. Of course no one will admit it, but I could feel the jealousy.

My excitement about Anne Frank came after reading The Diary of Anne Frank (the book) in high school. To me she wasn’t just the “girl with the diary”; she was brave, smart, strong, and hopeful- all the qualities you rarely find in an eight year old. Don’t get me wrong, I felt just as sad and mad walking through the house as I did when I watched the movie Selena- because in the end they both pass away. However, there should be some happiness to this story, because in a strange way her dream of being a famous writer came true. Millions of people died during the persecution, but it was Anne who wrote all her feelings and thoughts down. This led her father to tell Anne’s story, promote human rights and bring people together.

“I think it’s important that people shouldn’t go to the Anne Frank house to see the secret annex. They’ve also got to be encouraged to realize that even today, people are being prosecuted for their race.” Otto Frank Regardless what anyone says, to me she’s a hero. I’m amazed with her story, because she had the courage to write while in hiding. The walls in the museum had quotes from her diary and one impacted me the most: “I know what I want, I have a goal, I have opinions, a religion and love.”

Anne and her family moved in the building on the Prinsengracht in 1942. Shortly after Anne and the eight people in hiding were arrested and sent to Auschwitz extermination camp. From there, Anne became ill with typhus and died in Bergen-Belsen in 1945. Anne’s diary was published in the Netherlands in 1947, and has been translated into more than 65 languages. On May 3rd 1960 the Anne Frank house opened to the public and is still one of the most popular places for tourists to visit in Amsterdam.

We weren’t able to take photos inside, but I did anyway mainly because I have to prove to my mailman that I was there. The Anne Frank house made me reflect on my own life and all the people that I couldn’t imagine living without. Just like Selena’s music, Anne’s story will live on forever.

I will conclude this with a magical moment I had after walking through the house: my bonding session with Wyatt Danz. The Anne Frank museum showed a kind, respectful side to this boy while I spoke to him about Anne and her secret annex. I think Mr. Frank would be proud to know that walking through his house helped bring me closer to one of my classmates.

P.S. My picture won't rotate!

No comments:

Post a Comment