Tuesday, January 25, 2011


Since we departed on our Europe adventure I started thinking of the stories I might want to do over there. Even when doing stories in Chicago I’ve experienced some problems trying to find sources and getting in contact with helpful people to interview for my stories. Well doing stories in a different country where there is a different language it is ten times harder to try and get people to give you an interview. Parisians are very friendly people but are very careful about who they share their information with, they aren’t like Americans who share everything with everyone. For my feature story I did it on soccer culture in Paris and in the US. People were willing to give their opinion but when I asked them for their personal information like a phone number or email address they were kind of hesitant and some said they could not give me their information because they didn’t know me. Even after I explained that it was for school. For my spot news it was even harder. I did it on the trial from the Hague. We couldn’t really talk to anyone from the trial and we could not record the briefings we received before the trial. For my multi-media I based it on the legalization of marijuana in Amsterdam, that one was fun because people in Amsterdam were very willing to share their information but off camera. Only one guy allowed me to record him but with one condition that his face wouldn’t show and so I had to tape him in the dark. Hopefully my stories turned out okay and the sources and information I was able to get is enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment