Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Experiencing Anne Frank

“Anne Frank”

Just hearing that name brings out emotions for people all over the world. I mean who knew that the diary of a young Jewish girl would be translated into more than 50 different languages and touch the lives of millions?

Visiting Her Hiding Place in Amsterdam

Our first step into the museum lobby was nothing extraordinary: employees, blah-colored walls and floors, but as we were shuffled next door into the beginning of our journey, the atmosphere instantly changed.

The first thing I saw was a quote by Anne on a lighted wall. I wish I could remember what it said, but I didn’t get a chance to write it down and got flustered when I was stopped from taking a photograph. Even though I can’t recall her words, I can still remember feeling as if Anne herself was pulling me into her secret world.

As I continued walking through the rooms of the house, I read and watched everything the museum put together. All that kept running through my mind were images of Anne and her family trying so hard to live in secret and struggling with the fear that at any moment they could be discovered and killed.

Can You Imagine?

You need to be so strong. The never knowing if this was the day you and your family would be found?

One thing I noticed was that no one spoke. If there hadn’t been short video clips playing, I’m sure that all you would be able to hear is the shuffling of feet, creaking of floorboards, and the thoughts running through everyone’s mind as they all catch a glimpse of life in the Secret Annex.

Keeping His Family Safe

Something I didn’t expect to learn was the huge role Anne’s father, Otto Frank, played in orchestrating such an endeavor to keep his family safe. In the fifth grade, “The Secret Diary of Anne Frank” was a part of our school curriculum, but since then I had forgotten Otto’s courage and love for his family. The house reminded me of this and helped me to see this father’s deep love.

Never Forget

Of all my European adventure, visiting Anne Frank’s house is definitely one of my favorite experiences. I will always remember Otto Frank’s words: “To build up a future, you have to know the past.”


No comments:

Post a Comment